Thursday, March 18, 2010

What would you do?

I'm in the 32k gteed w/300 people left. I have a 16k stack which is slightly above average. Just moved to new table and 2 hands later in the bb I have JJ. Chip leader is at the table and raises from early position 2.5x bb to 1250. I have no info on this player. I don't like playing JJ oop and decide to reraise to 3500. He comes over the top all in. I can fold and still have 25 big blinds or call and most likely be behind or racing.

After tanking I decide that I don't know enough about him or how he got his chips and wait for a better spot. He shows 33 and I then go on tilt and give him my chips in my next bb. He raises, cutoff calls and I have As8s. I flop a flush draw and check raise all in. He has a set and hits quads on the turn.

With the JJ hand, once again I think I had just enough chips to get away from the hand. 3 or 4k less and I get it all in. Any opinions?

6 comments:

Mike Heffner said...

Miyagi: Walk on road, hm? Walk left side, safe. Walk right side, safe. Walk middle, sooner or later
[makes squish gesture]

Fakemoviecharacter Okinawans have wisdom, you know.

I swear you intentionally pick the most difficult lines in these spots just to make your life hard.

Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo said...

It's the 32k, with a $26 buyin. And he's the chip leader so is probably playing a wider than normal range, and a chip leader in one of these events with 300 left is probably normally looser than average already as it is. I would call the push in this spot a good portion of the time, absent any additional information. You're ahead or racing a significant percent of the time in this particular spot I think, and I don't mind taking on a race to build a big stack if I think I might be dominating and it can set me up for a nice, deep run.

BLAARGH! said...

I don't think you played either hand badly, though rr the chipleader almost always = a shove, so your rr should have been commitment, or fold, he will almost never fold to your bb rr - and fold is pretty weak... you could have just flatted as well and set mine or jam a low flop. JJ is tough oop with no reads. I think I like Hoy's line best if I had to choose.
And the A8 hand is just bad luck, seems fairly standard... sucks that it's to the same dweeb though...

jamyhawk said...

I don't know that I could call with JJ there. I wouldn't put him on 1010 or below, where I would be dominating enough of the time to be +EV. The rest of the time you are flipping (or way behind) and I would hate to flip for my tournament life with 25 big blinds left.

But I like Hoy's answer, I just don't know that I could do it.

jjok said...

Hammer knows best. Make the call.

JJ is ok. ;)

lightning36 said...

I kind of agree with jamy -- especially since you are new to the table and have no idea how the other guy has been playing. If you are risking your tournament life with J-J and 25 big blinds left, I would rather be the first one all in.

The A-8 play makes me cringe. You said that you were on tilt, though.