Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Any opinions on this hand?

I got deep in the 28k gtee again last night. I'm just wondering what other people might do or think is the best play in this situation.

Once we were down to around 80 players, the tourney dynamics changed quite a bit. Everyone was taking a lot of chances and 3 betting with marginal hands. I had just gone from 35k chips to about 90k (about average) in the span of a few hands when this hand came up.


Full Tilt Poker Game #12458265087: $28,000 Guarantee (92762037), Table 11 - 2000/4000 Ante 500 - No Limit Hold'em - 2:33:04 ET - 2009/05/27

Seat 2: Shabazz Jenkins (89,956)
Seat 3: Oaklandish (79,055)
Seat 4: woundedknee99 (107,040)
Seat 6: ErikTheKing7 (110,928)
Seat 7: xHanzox (54,748)
Seat 8: AriAri7 (117,695)
Seat 9: icudonk (102,400)
Shabazz Jenkins antes 500
Oaklandish antes 500
woundedknee99 antes 500
ErikTheKing7 antes 500
xHanzox antes 500
AriAri7 antes 500
icudonk antes 500
icudonk posts the small blind of 2,000
Shabazz Jenkins posts the big blind of 4,000
The button is in seat #8
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Shabazz Jenkins [Qc Qd]
Oaklandish folds
woundedknee99 folds
ErikTheKing7 folds
xHanzox folds
AriAri7 raises to 9,555
icudonk folds
Shabazz Jenkins raises to 28,000
AriAri7 raises to 117,195, and is all in
Shabazz Jenkins calls 61,456, and is all in
AriAri7 shows [Ad 2h]
Shabazz Jenkins shows [Qc Qd]
Uncalled bet of 27,739 returned to AriAri7
*** FLOP ***
[Kd Kc Ks]
*** TURN ***
[Kd Kc Ks] [6h]
raskals1 (Observer):
whoaraskals1 (Observer): whoa
*** RIVER ***
[Kd Kc Ks 6h] [Ac]
raskals1 (Observer): whoa
AriAri7 shows a full house, Kings full of Aces
Shabazz Jenkins shows a full house, Kings full of Queens
AriAri7 wins the pot (184,412) with a full house, Kings full of Aces
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 184,412
Rake 0Board: [Kd Kc Ks 6h Ac]
Seat 2: Shabazz Jenkins (big blind) showed [Qc Qd] and lost with a full house, Kings full of Queens
Seat 3: Oaklandish folded before the Flop
Seat 4: woundedknee99 folded before the Flop
Seat 6: ErikTheKing7 folded before the Flop
Seat 7: xHanzox folded before the Flop
Seat 8: AriAri7 (button) showed [Ad 2h] and won (184,412) with a full house, Kings full of Aces
Seat 9: icudonk (small blind) folded before the Flop

When I was thinking about this hand today, I realized how much of an impact my stack size had on my decision, which cost me my tournament life. I had approximately 22 big blinds at this point and was comfortable with my table. If I had just 15 to 18 BB's in this situation, I definitely shove here. In the past I would have probably shoved this stack most of the time not wanting to risk getting called by a marginal hand. If I would've shoved, he most likely folds and I am still alive in the tourney.

So the question is: Is the best play here to raise for value or play scared poker and shove to just take down the 18k pot?

7 comments:

ElSnarfoGrande said...

Either way you play it, don't you want the call there? I would imagine winning this hand gives you close to, in not in, a top 10 stack.

This late, getting max value from that hand gives you the best chance to go deep and get the big money payout. I don't think you can overthink the decision because he stacks off with complete fa-cock-ta shiz nizzle and gets lucky.

jjok said...

I don't shove either......good play to get good value, which you did.

Just unlucky.

PokahDave said...

I can't see any other way to play it that would make the guy fold..not that you want him to. If you called his raise then pushed the flop he prob. still would have called but he might have actually folded. I would have played it the same way you did.

Jeremy said...

Thanks for the comments. If I had won the hand I would've been in 4th place with 36 people left. I know I made the right play but it's frustrating because I would never make that play with A2 and this guy goes on to finish in 4th place and cashes for around 1300. I lost a very similar hand a few days before very deep in the same tourney.

Robert said...

He's out of his mind. FWIW- I usually read the smaller preflop raise as someone begging for action with a big pair. Which is basically what you were doing. I read the preflop push as much weaker. Pocket 9's Or weak ace. You played it fine.

jamyhawk said...

sounds like the exact same situation from my live tournament Tuesday night.

I was hoping to draw in a weak hand, as you were.

Sometimes you just get unlucky. I would play it the same though as it has to be +EV there.

lj said...

with your stack i prefer shoving. he's probably calling anyway, but he's an idiot if he thinks he has any fold equity after you rr. imo the rr w/ that stack size looks so strong that i'm more likely to fold than shove/call if i'm him (esp w/ A2). that's all hindsight and 20/20, though, etc.