Monday, July 6, 2009

Back to Reality

This past month I have spent 7 days in Myrtle Beach, 5 days in Vegas, and 5 days camping. Now it's back to the daily grind.

My Vegas trip was fun but disappointing. I had high hopes for this trip and was ready to focus and play my best. I ended up playing 3 Venetian Deep Stack NLHE tourneys, one Caesar's Mega Stack NLHE tourney, the Golden Nugget HORSE tourney, and two Venetian second chance tourneys. I made it to the HORSE tourney my first day there and played solid for the first couple of hours. During the stud round I hit Broadway on 5th street and guy had rolled up 7's and hit a boat on 6th street for a big pot. I went out in the next Razz round when i had 7543A at 5th st. and my opponent had 7K9 showing. I got it all in and he hit a 2 and 4 on 6th and 7th for a A2457. GG me. That evening I met up with CK, LJ, and cmitch for dinner and then headed to the Wynn for a $1/$2 mixed game . I got my first lesson in 2-7 triple draw. The very first hand, LJ and I played a big pot where I had the 2nd nut hand and she had the 3rd. I ended up down about $40 but had a great time. I was hoping to get over to the Rio to rail LJ and cmitch in their tourneys but wasn't able to make it back over there.


The next day I played my first Venetian tourney. I was down early but came back and had a little below average stack just before dinner break. I had AKss in ep and raised, agro guy rrsd me from button. I rrsd all in and he called w/aq. Flop 345 w/2 spades. Qs gives me the nuts and he's calling for a 2 to split. Turn is an 8 and river is a black queen.......of crubs! Are you fking serious? My one big regret in this tourney was when I was down to about 17 bb and utg big stack raised. I was utg + 2 and had JJ. I was telling myself to push but couldn't do it. I decided to just call. The button called also. The flop came AKx. They got it all in w/one having AK and one AQ. Wouldn't you know the turn was a J. I would've tripled up. The next two deep stack tourneys I couldn't get anything going and went out around mid field in both. I did win a $130 satellite into the 2nd deepstack.


Both of the second chance Venetian tourneys I started off good. The 2nd one I played I was running over my table and then the table broke. I thought I had a lot of chips and my new table had 4 stacks larger than mine. The first 3 hands I was at the table, the big stack raised pre and was all in on every flop w/marginal hands. In my BB a shorty pushed for 4x the bb and big stack called. I look down at QThh and decide to see a flop. Flop comes Q9x. I check for the trap and just as he had been doing big stack says all in. I insta call and he tables A9. I think I'm in great shape until the river brings another 9. .........sigh


My last day there was Sunday and I played the Caesar's $330 tourney. I had a pretty soft table and had my starting 15k stack up to 26k after four hours and only showing down 2 hands. I was feeling confident and making great reads until this hand..... Blinds are 400/800 and utg pushes all in for 6k. I'm in the sb and find a pair of Q's. I rs to 12k and bb pushes all in. I know I'm probly fkd but have to call. He shows AA and I'm done.


I played 6 NLHE tourneys and didn't see AA or KK once. I had QQ twice and lost with them both times and I didn't flop one set. There were times in the tourneys when I wasn't in the hand but had some great reads on the players. I probably should have played more hands just to get in and try to outplay them post flop. I only played one NLHE $1/2 session at the Flamingo for about 2 hours. I bought in for 200 and cashed out for 350. One good player and the rest were pretty bad. Definitely should have played more cash.


I had a couple of good craps sessions and put $20 in a slot machine and cashed out $140 (my biggest slot machine cash ever). I was good and stayed away from roulette until my last night. Bad decision. I was able to meet up with Lightning for a couple of beers. It was after talking to him that I decided to play the cash game.

Overall I felt like I was playing good and making good reads, and at the same time not giving any tells away.

2 comments:

BWoP said...

It was nice to meet you!

Sorry the tourneys didn't work out so well for you this time around.

lightning36 said...

Ditto what CK said.

It looks like it was feast or famine for bloggers in Las Vegas in June/July -- either major cashes or bending down and grabbing ankles.

Oh well -- you can always attempt to knock off the reigning Mookie champ tonight. : o )