Monday, February 1, 2010

WBCOOP

I played a lot of poker on Sunday, but only made it past level 5 in one tourney - the WBCOOP Main Event. This was only the 2nd event that I was able to play and I made the most of it, almost.

I played some of my best poker in this tournament, taking down alot of pots down post flop by going with my reads. I didn't have any big suckouts and was able to get paid off when I had big hands.

We got down to 40 players or so when I raised with TT in middle position. At this point I had 65k chips with blinds at 1400/2800. My table had several big stacks and had recently been bullying the shorter stacks, knowing the 55 to 215 SCOOP ticket bubble was close. The BB reraised me 3x my raise. My time bank only had 12 seconds left and I had to make a quick decision. I was thinking fold the whole time then for some stupid ass reason, I push. He insta calls with QQ and I'm out. I saw the time bank down to 5 seconds and I think I paniced. I thought about this all day and really believe if I had 20 more seconds or so to think about it, I would have folded. Pocket pairs 99 and below were probably not in his range for a reraise here, so at best I would have been racing and should't have taken the risk there. I could've folded and still had about 20 big blinds and an M of 10.

Anyone have any opinions on this hand?

As for the rest of the day, some of the hands I remember going out on were my AA losing to AK when he went runner runner for broadway, AA < KK on the river, AA < 66 on the river, KK < 22 on the flop and my flopped set of tens lost to a rivered royal flush.

Congrats to CK and lightning on their deep runs in the WBCOOP.

6 comments:

BWoP said...

Hey Shabazz. Thanks for stopping by to say hi. I never would have known that was you.

Question for you about the TT v QQ hand is what the BB's stack size was. If this was one of the big stack bullies, I'd probably be more inclined to call.

Jeremy said...

Hey CK. Yeah, I knew no one would recognize my name. I had DrChako at my starting table (who I only know of by seeing him comment on blogs) and struck up a conversation with him and then asked if would be able to trade a few stars dollars for my full tilt dollars. And then he wouldn't respond to me anymore lol. I told him my FT name but he didn't say anymore.

The reraiser was one of the 3 big stacks. He had about 220k to my 65k. I had folded to a reraise (not to him) 2 times in the previous 20 hands or so. This guy hadn't been at my table very long but he was pretty active.

lightning36 said...

I didn't know that was you until I read your post!

This would just be me (lame-azz weak player): Two away from the bubble with a bump from the $55 to the $215 ticket, I would either grit my teeth and fold the 10's or call and hope to see a cheap flop. Like you said, if you had more time to think it through you probably would have folded to the re-raise.

Soooo many things have to go right to win a tournament like this. I got derailed when my K-K lost to A-8 -- ace on the river. If I doubled up, who knows how deep I would have gone ... *sigh*

Congrats on your finish. Good to see you back on the virtual tables.

BWoP said...

I think that's a tough spot given what you've said about the big stack bully.

So if I'm reading this correctly, you opened to somewhere around 8,400. BSB then re-raised to somewhere around 25,200.

I think that has to be a shove or fold situation. (Sorry, I didn't mean to say call in my initial comment. I forgot that you were the one who shoved.)

If you just call, there's more than 50k in the pot pre-flop and you have about 40k left. Even if BSB has something like AK or AQ and the board is something like 9-high, BSB has pretty tempting odds to call an all-in or shove the flop. If any over-card to your PP hits the flop, then what would you do? BSB can also apply pressure with a pretty wide range of flops where fold equity plus hand equity might give BSB a significant advantage.

The problem is deciding if the BSB is applying pre-flop pressure because the next pay jump bubble is approaching and you have a good enough stack where you can fold to the next pay level or because BSB has a mighty strong hand. Given stack sizes and what you've told us about the action, I think it's a close call.

Jeremy said...

Thanks for the comments. I should have realized he had a big hand when he didn't push all in pre. If I had folded, I still had enough chips to at least move up a level.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.